Lifeway’s main VBS curriculum’s theme in 2015 is “Journey Off the Map.” Since children are little sponges that soak up and remember truth easily, for our VBS, I ask catechism questions and provide answers that go along with the lessons each day. In a 5 to 6 day VBS, you want to ask all of these questions and provide these answers by the third day so that children will have an opportunity, if they attend each night, to remember the questions and answers. I ask these questions and provide these answers in both the opening and closing on each day. Also, I encourage kids to yell out the answers. I hope these are helpful.
1. Who is God? God is a Spirit. He does not have a body like men!*
2. How great is God? God is all-good, all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present!
3. Who Made you? God made me!*
4. What else did God make? God made everything!*
5. Why did God make you and everything? For His glory!*
6. Why should you glorify God? He made me and takes care of me!*
7. Are there more gods than one? No! There is one God!*
8. In how many Persons does this one God exist? Three Persons!*
9. Who are these three Persons? The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit!*
10. Who is Jesus? God the Son; fully God and fully Man!
11. What is sin? Doing something that God forbids in His word!
12. What did Jesus do for us? He died on the cross for our sins and rose from the dead to forgive us our sins!
13. Where do we learn about God? In the Bible alone!*
14. Where do we learn how to follow Jesus? In the Bible alone!
15. Can God ever lie? No! God always keeps His promises!
Then, on Day 4, 5 (and 6), in both the opening and closing, you will go over all the questions and answers, in addition to briefly going over what students learned that day.
*Some of these catechism questions and answers were borrowed from Tom Ascol’s Truth and Grace Memory Books, Book 1. If you don’t have a Baptist catechism that you’re using with your children, I highly recommend Ascol’s Truth and Grace Memory books!